Winter is here… and so is the season of dry skin!
Cold air, heat, low humidity levels and warm baths can all zap your skin of moisture. Water also quickly evaporates from the skin when the humidity levels are low. This loss of moisture leads to dryness, itchiness and dullness. Even the oiliest skin can’t escape winter dryness.
How to know your skin is dry? While you’ll most definitely feel it, you can look for these signs:
- Cracked skin or flaky bits around the face, lips or feet
- A white line appears after you scratch your skin
- Your knees and elbow look ashy (grayish)
- Skin feels tight, especially after showers or waking up in the morning
Dry skin can have a lot of causes, but one thing is certain - it is uncomfortable, to say the least. So here we have come up with 9 ways to banish winter dryness. From bathing in a hot tub to drinking a lot of water, read ahead for our tried and tested tips.
- Use Gentle Cleansers: Most of the available body washes or face washes can be tough and drying for your skin. These contain sulfates & other strong surfactants that strip your skin of its natural oil, leaving you with dry and flaky skin. So for winters, switch to genle & sulfate-free cleansers with hydrating or barrier repair ingredients. Our go-to is Niacinamide (AKA Vitamin B3) which strengthens the moisture mantle while hydrating the skin. Check out The Beauty Co. Dragon Fruit Face Wash, rich with the goodness of Niacinamide & super moisturizing Dragon Fruit. A perfectly apt cleanser to beat winter dryness.
- Cut Down On Hot Showers: We too, are guilty of indulging in hot, steamy showers during winter. But did you know they do more harm than good? Hot water strips your skin of its moisture, making it dry. Instead, opt for lukewarm baths and keep the showers short.
- Exfoliate your skin: Flaky skin and dullness are no strangers when it comes to dryness. That’s why you need to exfoliate once a week during winter to keep your skin flake-free. Use a gentle scrub to help get rid of unwanted dry skin and unveil soft, supple, and smooth skin. If scrubs aren’t your thing or you need an even more gentle solution, try our Chocolate Coffee Body Butter with chemical exfoliants. Infused with Glycolic Acid, it provides daily exfoliation without the hassle of weekly scrubs.
- Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize!: And, we can’t stress enough on this! Dry skin screams for nourishment and moisture. So your best bet is to invest in lotions or body butter for this season. Apply a generous amount of our Coconut Milk & Honey Body Lotion right after a shower on damp skin to soak all the goodness. It has a soothing fragrance and nourishing ingredients to make your skin soft and radiant.
- Hydrate your skin inside out: Just drinking water isn’t enough for your skin in winters. You need to add electrolytes to actually help water get absorbed into the bloodstream. Lemon water, coconut water, vegetable smoothies, etc., will help you level up your daily hydration content.
- Soak It Up With Socks: Dry feet got you crying? At night when you are right about to sleep, apply a thick layer of moisturizer on your skin and wear socks to cover it all. This way, the product penetrates deeper and better, so you can wake up with smooth feet.
- Weekly Routine With Face Mask: Give your skin a chocolate coffee delight with The Beauty Co. Chocolate Coffee Face Mask! It is enriched with Glycolic Acid that exfoliates skin but most importantly it has glycerin which hydrates, nourishes & softens skin. Use it once a week to get rid of pesky flaky bits and reveal a smoother skin.
- Layer Up with Soft Fabric: You can’t go without wool during winters but for peeps with sensitive skins, it can flare up redness and itchiness. So always protect your skin by layering soft, breathable cotton underneath your woolens to protect direct content. It will reduce the irritation & discomfort to the minimum.
- Nourish Scalp to Beat Dry Hair Woes: Seasonal hairfall, dandruff and dry hair are some common problems you may notice during winters. So anytime you decide you wash your hair, use a hair oil that helps nourish your scalp and strands. All new To the Roots Hair Oil is made just for this! It controls hair fall & boosts hair growth all while moisturizing strands. We recommend pairing it with the range’s hair serum for the best winter hair care ritual!
Now you are all ready to tackle the nip in the air with your strong skincare game 💪🏼
Have A Happy (and cosy) Winters! 🌬️❄️